Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bodhi Language


Bodhi has been amazing me everyday with new words that he's learning. The other morning I greeted him with "Hi Bodhi, how are you?" and he said "Hi!" Later that same morning, he walked into the room and I said "Hi Bodhi!" to which he responded "Haoyoo?" Close enough. He knows the sounds for 6 to 8 animals, but surprised me recently when I showed him an owl and he said "Hoo Hoo"... hey! I didn't teach him that one? Where did he learn it?


The best part is that he's learning words that help us understand what he needs and wants. When he's thirsty he says "wawa", when he's hungry he says "ah'm onrry" and points to the tabletop. When he's hurt he says "booboo" and when he wants something he can't get out he says "stuck!" That last one works for when he gets himself into a spot he can't get out of, too. Something that happens quite a bit with a toddler. When he spills something he says "tao" which means "towel" and is pretty useful, too. He can even tell us which TV show he wants to watch with "Pooh" being a favorite along with Curious George for which he points at the TV and says "OO! OO! OO!", like a monkey.

I'm really having fun with this stage of his development. Maybe it's because I'm a language guy, myself, but watching him mimic sounds, put them together and attach them to objects and concepts is really neat.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

There was a woman on Colbert Report that was discussing how babies & young children learn. At that stage in their lives, they are technically more intelligent than some adults because of how much they are taking in. Everything is new & they notice everything. It's amazing to witness that first hand with your own child.

Stacey Ho said...

Wait until 3 - seriously Lauryn never stops talking and there are more than a few occasions where I wonder to myself - where did she learn that. I'm afraid at 4 she is going to ask for a cell phone she talks so much :)